Is my Forklift or Order Picker Licence Still Legal?

licence-tickThis is a current 5 year renewable High Risk Work Licence licence-crossAs of 30th June 2014 this style of licence is no longer legal. Call Workplace Health and Safety Qld on 1300 369 915 to ascertain if anything can be done to transition your Licence through to a HRW Licence.Call us if you need to discuss arrangements for re-assessment.

Can I still operate a Forklift on my old Paper Licence?


Any paper licence holders who need to operate a forklift or order picker in the workplace will need to undertake further training to bring them up to current Australian standards plus knowledge of Legislation and Regulations. They will need to undertake re-assessment and make a fresh application for a Licence at a Queensland branch of Australia Post. Talk to us about an RPL course (Recognised Prior Learning).

If I have over 40 hours in a logbook already can I just take the test only?


If you have already done your theory training before hand and have the necessary paperwork issued by a RTO or an employer then the answer is Yes, we should be able to progress you through to your practical exam and finalisation of assessment.

If you have 40 hours logged in a logbook where no theory or formal training was done before you started recording hours in that logbook the answer is a definite No.

In July 2008 it passed into The Workplace Health and Safety Regulations that the theory training MUST be done before any logbook hours (work based practical) training can take place. All new logbooks available in the marketplace today allow for this to happen.

In legal terms, hours recorded in a logbook where no theory session has been delivered first are classed as “illegally trained hours”, and any trainees using this old system and still recording hours in a logbook are actually operating illegally and need to take steps to rectify the situation. Penalties of up to $20,000 (200 penalty units) apply.

Trainees have 2 options in this situation, either start again with a 2 stage training course or enrol for a 3 day course with the possibility of an early assessment.

Is my New Zealand (or Overseas) Forklift Licence valid for work in Australia?

No, you need to “cross your licence over” to an Australian Licence, you can contact Workplace Health and Safety Queensland 1300 369 915 to see if you qualify for an automatic transfer. However, in our experience Licences that can be swapped straight over are in the minority. Most overseas Forklift Licence holders have to undertake some gap training and re-certification. If your Licence is a current and you have recent experience, you may qualify for a 1 day RPL gap training course. If your Licence is over 5 -6 years old and it is a while since you have used a machine, you will probably find that the full training course or 2 stage course are more suited to you.

Do I receive a national Forklift / Order Picker licence at the end of course?

YES. It is a Qld issued licence recognised nationally – renewable every 5 years.

What do I need to drive a Forklift on the road in QLD?

When driving a forklift on the road, the machine needs to be either road registered or a permit (or exemption) obtained.

You will also need a high risk forklift licence and a current driving licence (for the class of car is fine).

What do I do if I missed the 60 day lodgement deadline for my Forklift Licence?

If we trained you…

Under Workplace Health and Safety Legislation we still have regulations to follow and a responsibility to make sure that you are still current and competent on a machine. If we trained and assessed you then we will obviously know what was covered in our own course. Therefore, if you only missed the deadline by 1-6 months it maybe possible for you to just re-sit the theory, the calculation exam and the practical skills test and be issued with new paperwork.

If you missed your deadline by over 6 months, or if you feel that you struggled with your course and you need a refresher session on either the theory or the practical training, we can arrange for you to spend a day with us – effectively a 1 day RPL course.

If you missed your deadline by over 12 months then you will be required to re-enrol on a full training course with a view to early assessment.

If we did not train you …

The Assessment only option would not be open to you if your original training course was not undertaken with us, as we could never be 100% sure that everything that needed to be covered was covered. Given that this is high risk work and the “detail” is important, we would have to start at a minimum of a 1 day gap training course or a full training course with a view to an early assessment, depending on how much time has elapsed since you missed the deadline for licence application and what you have been doing on the machine since that time.

You will need to complete a Recognised Prior Learning Application form before acceptance onto a course. A letter of support from an employer is a valuable tool in these instances but not essential. Please contact us.

Have a question, looking to get your licence or need to upgrade? Send Enquiry

Please fill out the form below and one of our friendly representatives will be in touch shortly.
Alternatively you can call us on 07 5537 9244.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.